Monday, October 3, 2011

#3: The Anderson Silva dilmena

What are Dana White and Joe Silva going to do with this guy?  He's breaking records, breaking opponents, widely regarded as the number 1 pound for pound fighter on the planet, and doing it all at 36 years of age in (for the most part) dramatic and exciting fashion.

Thales Leites (which wasn't Silva's fault), and Demian Maia (which WAS Silva's fault) fights aside, Anderson Silva is one of the most exciting fighters to watch.  When most fighters are taking a look at their MMA career and deciding when to retire, Silva appears to be in his prime and just getting better.

So, what's next for Silva?  What fighters could POSSIBLY be matched up against him?

Well, for one, I believe the winner of Stann/Sonnen should get the next chance.  We all watched Sonnen dominate Silva for 24 minutes before the last minute triangle choke, but I believe Stann is beginning to find his stride as well.  And should Stann get by Sonnen, I think he should get the shot at Silva.

What about Miller/Bisping?  Should the winner of that fight get the next shot at Silva?  The Stann/Sonnen fight comes a couple months before Miller/Bisping, so in the interest of keeping Silva active faster, I'd say the winner of Sonnen/Stann should get next shot with Miller/Bisping being next.

Finally, if you've read my last blog post about the Gracie camp, I'd say Shields needs to head back up to 185 and do what he does best.  If he can get some quality wins over big name Middleweights, I'd like to see him go up against Anderson Silva.  He may just pull off what Sonnen couldn't.

And that's about it for MW matchups that I can think of for Anderson Silva.  What can he do after that?  Of course there's the super fight between him and GSP.  But I am going to say something that may just blow ALL of your minds.  I do not want to see this matchup, atleast not until either GSP or Anderson Silva loses to another fighter first.

It's simple to me, both fighters are so dominant and are widely considered the number 1 and 2 pound for pound fighters on the planet.  While the money the UFC would make would be insane, I'd hate to see either fighter's win streaks tarnished because of the other.  If Anderson wins, it's because he's a naturally bigger fighter than GSP, and if GSP wins, it's because Anderson couldn't handle the weight cut.  Either way, one of them loses, and it's going to suck for fans of both fighters.

I'd much rather see Anderson Silva jump back up to 205 and take on Jon Jones.

Think about how that fight would play out.

--Andy

4 comments:

  1. Anderson V Jones would be amazing, But I think Anderson is too comfy where he is at. Also how did he fight when he was 205, wasnt he a small 205? I think I would like to see him move up or down and face one of them, Jones or GSP would be a match I would LOVE to see! Im sure it would be history making as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100%.

    The only thing I am disappointed in, is that UFC wants Miller or Bisping to get a shot at Silva. I don't think either of those clowns deserve it (yet).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bar Fight: I'd hate to see either Anderson or GSP lose to the other one. I just think it would be one of those fights where one fighter's unbeaten streak is broken because of the other and that would make me sad. It would be epic, but I think Anderson would beat GSP hands down. Anderson is simply too big (he walks around at 210-220).

    Dale: Agreed. The UFC will set Silva up with someone they can "hype up". Fortunately, it's not just Miller or Bisping that are marketable opponents for Silva. All of the fighters I've talked about this week I could see the UFC hyping up well for Silva. Sonnen as the guy to almost beat him once before. Stann as the promising prospect whose "reinvented" his career and stopped the man who almost stopped Silva. Miller or Bisping as the trash talking TUF coach winner. GSP or Jones, the champions who've both been on a tear in their respective divisions, etc. etc. While I don't believe Miller or Bisping has a chance to beat Silva, I don't believe Joe Silva and Dana White are only thinking of Miller or Bisping as the next contenders when Stann/Sonnen will be coming up this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd much rather see a Jones vs. Silva fight. Silva fights well at 205, so it would be a lot more logical a choice than GSP at 185.

    ReplyDelete